ORAL HEALTHCARE MEASURES FOR PREVENTION OF COVID-19
Brush filaments can offer the ideal environment for the retention and growth of pathogens
Good general health begins with good oral health
Rinse and shake
brush (to eliminate
Use of cap with
The use of products with antiseptic active ingredients helps to controlmicroorganisms in the oral cavity.
It is recommended to apply daily-use pastes and mouthrinses containing CPC (Cetylpyridinium Chloride), which has been proven to have a preventive effect against infection by viruses similar to coronavirus and a high capability to inactivate these viruses.
For optimum protection it is advisable to always gargle with 15 ml of th undiluted mouthwash for 30 seconds after brushing.
It is extremely important to maintain 100% complete hygiene, remembering to clean the spaces between teeth to prevent oral biofilm build-up.
It is advisable to use the right interproximal hygiene tools for each space (dental floss or tape, interproximal brushes, oral irrigators)
High density of ACE2 receptors on tongue1
The tongue cleaner has been proven to reduce tongue coating, epithelial cells and microorganisms9
• CPC (Cetylpyridinium Chloride)
• Study by Popkin et al. 2017
• Study by Mukherjee et al. 2017
• Conclusions and prevention protocols
1. Xu H, Zhong L, Deng J, Peng J, Dan H, Zeng X, et al.High expression of ACE2
receptor of 2019-nCoV on the epithelial cells of oral mucosa. Int J Oral Sci. 2020
2. Rabi FA, Al Zoubi MS, Kasasbeh GA, Salameh DM, Al-Nasser AD. SARS-CoV-2 and
Coronavirus Disease 2019: What We Know So Far. Pathogens. 2020 Mar 20;9(3)
3. Wölfel R. Corman VM, Guggemos W, Seilmaier M, Zange S, Müller MA, et al.
Virological assessment of hospitalized patients with COVID-2019. Nature https://-
4. Peng X, Xu X, Li Y, Cheng L, Zhou X, Ren B. Transmission routes of 2019-nCoV
and controls in dental practice. Int J Oral Sci. 2020 Mar 3;12(1):9
5. Liu Y, Yan LM, Wan L, Xiang TX, Le A, Liu JM, Peiris M, Poon LLM, Zhang W. Viral
dynamics in mild and severe cases of COVID-19. Lancet Infect Dis. 2020 Mar 19.
6. Popkin DL,ZilkaS,DimaanoM, Fujioka H, Rackley C,SalataR et al.Cetylpyridinium
chloride (CPC) exhibits potent, rapid activitygainstinfluenza viruses in
vitro and in vivo.PathogensandImmunity. 2017;2(2):253-69.
7. Mukherjee PK, Esper F, Buchheit K, Arters K, Adkins I, Ghannoum MAet al.
Randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled clinical trial to assess the safety
and effectiveness of a novel dual-action oral topical formulation against upper
respiratory infections. BMC Infect Dis. 2017 Jan 14;17(1):74
8. Liang Shen, Junwei Niu, Chunhua Wang, Baoying Huang, Wenling Wang, Na
Zhu, Yao Deng, Huijuan Wang, Fei Ye, Shan Cen, Wenjie Tan. 2019. High-Throughput
Screening and Identification of Potent Broad-Spectrum Inhibitors of Coronaviruses.
Journal of Virology. doi: 10.1128/JVI.00023-19 93 (12)
9. Quirynen M, Avontroodt P, Soers C, Zhao H, Pauwels M, van Steenberghe D.
Impact of tongue cleansers on microbial load and taste. J Clin Periodontol 2004;